Aber Town & Gown is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy. Aber Town & Gown provides this policy to make you aware of our practices and of the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used when you access our website and/or sign up to use our proprietary, web-based platform (“Aber Town & Gown property platform”) which provides you with access to a number of property-related services provided by our selected third party partners.
This policy (together with our Website Terms which can be found abertownandgown.com/website-terms and our B2C Service Terms which can be found here abertownandgown.com/terms-conditions (and any other documents referred to in them) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting www.abertownanedgown.com, and by accessing and continuing to use the Aber Town & Gown property platform, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is the Aber Town & Gown Partnership of c/o Suite 5, Loveden House, 26 Bridge Street, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 1QB.
What personal data do we process?
We process the following types of personal data about you when you visit and browse our website and sign up and use the Aber Town & Gown property platform:
- Information you give to us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Aber Town & Gown property platform, search for or use a product or service, place an order for services via our website, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us will depend on whether you are registered to use the Aber Town & Gown property platform as a tenant, landlord, service provider or in some other capacity but may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, and property information.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our website and your use of the Aber Town & Gown property platform we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information about your location. To let you know about offers and services near to you, we may collect information about your location from your mobile. We will only do this where you have asked us to provide this service and where you confirm for us that you are over 16.
How do we use your personal data?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to provide potential tenants with your contact details on any property advert, to include your contact telephone number and email address. Please note that this means your contact details are publically available to any visitors of the Website;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, and/or our third party partners, and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you, or where you have consented to this. If you are a new customer, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means for marketing purposes only if you have consented to this. If you no longer want to receive any such electronic communications, please tell the sender and they will stop sending them to you. You can do this by following the instructions that will be contained within the electronic communication. Please note that when you purchase a service from one of our third party service providers they may ask you make similar elections as to how they will be permitted to use your personal data;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer; and
- for security reasons to confirm that you are who you say you are.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to perform identity checks on you where required under relevant anti-money laundering regulations;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Access to information
You have the right to access information held about you by us. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us via your user account or at email@example.com and we will provide you with further details of what you need to do. Such request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Links to other sites
This website may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by Aber Town & Gown. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites.
We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements on the other websites that you visit.
Changes to this policy